Do you suffer from common Air-Conditioner issues? Before you bin it, you might want to take a look at why it’s blowing hot air. Also, you can learn about how to fix your air-conditioner leaks in a jiffy.
Since summer’s here, there’s a good tendency that you’d be likely to use your air-conditioner all the more. This being said, you need to ensure that your air-conditioner functions in the best possible condition.
If you are a consumer that runs their house on a budget then you would think twice before signing up for an air conditioner. This because you’d want to reduce your utility bills. That being said, the bulk of these monthly bills usually cover heating in winter and air conditioning in summer.
In modern homes, the glass door or wall usually acts as a barrier to the dust and could cause your homes to heat up. This is where air-conditioning comes in which includes lowering temperatures and ensuring that you can breathe easy and stay cool.
That being said, conventional wisdom states that you can keep cool air in even during the hotter parts of the day. This means that you can keep your home constantly cool and within the 80s all year round.
So, sit back grab a soda, and spend more time with your family and stay hydrated during these hot summer months. This would mean that you could consider doing some of your hobbies while you’re at it. In a way, you’re combating the heat waves and letting your family enjoy the summer like never before!
You need to look for signs if your air conditioner needs repair and let your technician sort out this issue. One of the many problems could result from faulty wiring, lack of maintenance or even if some of the machine parts have worn out.
So, how do you rectify this error?
1. Cleaning Condensation Drain Line: Check if your condensation drain line is clogged and use chemical or natural methods to fight this clog. What you will have to do is to clean the condensation pan by turning off the HVAC, locating the pan, checking for stagnant water and cleaning the remaining dirt with a vacuum and with bleach.
2. Examine the filter: You need to check if the filter is clogged and whether it decreases the efficiency of the air-conditioner in the process. This would then drain the machine and reduce the extent of cooling. This is why filters of central AC units should be cleaned once a month especially if you have pets at home.
3. Is there a leak? The first thing you need to check is if you feel there are leaks in the unit and also if there are leaks in the window seals. This means that you should consider weather-proofing your home and resealing windows.
4. TV Positioning: You should avoid placing lamps, TV sets near thermostats as this could taper the temperature reading and control the central. Also, if it is placed near the window unit, then this can also pose a problem. Why do you ask? This is because your thermostat would sense heat from these appliances and this would cause the air-conditioner to run longer than necessary.
5. Registers – Dirty or Blocked? This is a no-brainer. If your registers are blocked then it could force the air to be heated or cooled in excess of what you had in mind. The best way to rectify this issue is if you vacuum the registers and remove the dust buildup. In a manner, this would ensure that the furniture and other objects that block airflow are not a cause of concern for the airflow to pass through the registers.
6. Resetting the Thermostat: If you are not careful with your programmable thermostat, then the set temperature could make it quite uncomfortable for you and your family. It should be set to a temperature that makes you feel comfortable. You should know that for every degree that you raise the temperature, your bills would increase by 3 percent.
7. Window Units or Centralised System: Window units do not cool the entire house, unlike a central system. But this depends if you have one window unit to cool or a large space that you’ll have to experiment with as the temperature varies depending on which part of the room you are in.
8. Excessive Sunshine Indoors: Well, lots of light is really good but it’ll make your AC work a lot harder to cool your home. This is why if you place your thermostat in the wrong position like a sunny spot, then it will have to work all the more to cool your place. The best option yet is to draw your curtains and allow the right amount of light into your home.
9. Indoor Greenery Vs Compressor: While it’s great to have plants all around the house, it should not block the compressor. Since the outdoor compressor brings in the fresh air, it needs a good amount of airflow for it to work properly. This means that there should be 2 to 3 feet of space around the unit for plants and structures. In the case of trees, there should be a 5 feet radius between the top of the unit and the trees around.
10. Missed the Annual Checkup: It’s imperative that an HVAC technician inspects your air-conditioner as there could be problems that would leave you high and dry during summer. With an annual checkup, your refrigerant would be topped up and the system would get the right tweaks to ensure that it functions as good as new.
If your room air conditioner is beyond repair, you can find one for a price as little as $140 for a small unit and as much as $370 for a large one. Here are some available air-conditioners in the market today:
1. Small (5,000 to 6,500 Btu/hr.)
3. Large (9,800 to 12,500 Btu/hr.)
Haier HWE12XCR, $320
High efficiency 11.3 EER
12,000 BTU room air Conditioner for window-mounted installation
4 functions include cool, energy saver, fan and Dehumidify
For a room up to 550 sq. Ft
Magnetic remote control stores on the unit and has braille for the visually impaired
In most cases, the reason why your air-conditioner is not working is that it got clogged due to a dirty filter. While some are changed monthly, others are replaced every three months. The best way to figure out if you need to change your filter is based on whether light passes through it. If not, then you need to clean it and if all methods to keep it clean fail, then you must replace it.
You should fix your thermostat in a place where it can be kept clean and it is not in direct contact with the sun. It helps control the temperature setting in the home and corrects all issues that arise.
When the coolant starts leaking then you should know that this could cause the temperature to fluctuate. The location of the leak should be looked into by a trained technician and this would help resolve the issue. The cost of repair is negligible as compared to the buying a new appliance.
Once this drain line becomes clogged with lint, dirt, and dust, then is can be quite hazardous to the functioning of your air-conditioner. This is why you should look for potential damages to the Drain Pan and the AC Unit
Breakers or Fuses
In this scenario, the breakers and fuses help safeguard the AC unit’s motor or compressor from overheating. Sometimes, the motor dies while at other times, the HVAC technician checks the breaker.
These capacitors are motor driven and power the compressor and the fan. They help give the first boost that activates the motor and provides the capacitor with a series of jolts that help keep the motor working. Without the capacity, the AC would burn out and you would end up with huge out of pocket expenses.
Here the compressor supplies energy to the refrigerant that propels the coils to carry out the heat exchange. Since the compressor does not work properly, the AC unit will not cool your house properly. In this manner, the insufficient refrigerant would make the run hot and this would make it fail or worse, seize altogether.
The evaporator coils absorb heat in the air and send it back to the house for cooling using the air ducts. At times these evaporator coils could get corroded and this would mean further damage your AC. This is why it should be maintained once in three years.
Condenser Coils are usually located on the outside with the compressor. Due to ordinary circumstances, they collect dirt from exposure. These coils should be cleaned with a water hose every year and if they are too dirty then an HVAC technician should help clean them with a chemical cleaner.
Finally, the AC unit is made up of a compressor, blower motor, condenser fan motor among others. If there is pitting or arcing in the contractor, then this could make it difficult to start the motors. This is why it’s important to check the worn contractor from time to time.
It would seem that maintaining your home appliances could be really difficult if you don’t have the time. With a home warranty, you can pay upfront at the beginning of the year to protect your appliance from all issues.
This could be based on the plan that you opt for. If you still need help deciding which home warranty you should opt for, then you need to compare them on HomeWarrantyReviews.com. Here’s how you can determine how to go about
The price of a home warranty is way cheaper than having to spend on several out of pocket expenses that could hamper your savings. This is why you should take a look at this rating timeline and learn about how these home warranty companies are faring with unbiased reviews from the public.
Tags:AC, ac repair, air conditioner, air conditioner repair, home warranty
Category:Appliance Maintenance | No Comments »
Prev Post:ServiceMaster Acquires Experienced GC for AHS Spin-off
Next Post:Top Real Estate Agents In Illinois
By submitting this form and requesting this information, you authorize your consent to use automated technology to call you at the phone number(s) provided, including your wireless number if provided, in reference to your request for more information.
Call Now for a Free Quote