Guide To Appliance Maintenance
By Steven De Nazareth
Updated: July 24th, 2019
If you want your appliances to work in top operating condition, you must take care of it. This will help you save on maintenance charges in the future.
Appliance Maintenance Tips
Here are a few maintenance tips that will help and guide you on appliance repair:
- Cleaning is recommended every 6-12 months. Clean the condenser coil of your refrigerator on a regular basis
- Freezers should be located away from streaming sunlight or heat sources. Otherwise, they work much harder than necessary. Removing interior ice build-up improves air flow and helps to maintain proper freezer temperature
- Ensure that door seals are airtight
- Check the manual for refrigerator troubleshooting
- Always set the interior temperature to around 40° F
- All the above tips increases the energy efficiency by as much as 30%
- Read refrigerator maintenance guide for more details
2. Washing Machine
- Use cold water settings
- Change filters after each load
- Do an inventory on water intake and drain lines
- Check hoses and screens for buildup
- Don’t overload the washing machine. Clothes need to be able to move freely during a wash cycle. If the machine is jammed full of clothes, it will need more energy to move them around. This means added strain on the washer’s motor, transmission, belts, and other parts
- It is also very important to not under-load the machine. Small loads can lead to off-balance cycles, which put a strain on the drive components. Plus, small loads waste water and energy, since there is very little difference in the amount of energy and water used for a full load and small load
- Always set dishwasher’s multiple settings to save water
- Set the water heater to 120°F
- Use the ‘overnight-dry’ feature whenever possible
- You should inspect the condition of the door seal periodically and keep it clean. When water or dirt builds up on the seal, it can cause mold which is difficult to get rid of. A loose or broken seal should be replaced as it can lead to unwanted leaks
- When loading your dishwasher, be careful to not damage the racks. The racks are typically coated with a vinyl material that can be damaged from rough use. Dishwasher racks are typically very expensive and often rival the cost of a new appliance, so keeping them in good shape can prevent another unwanted bill
- For more info – dishwasher maintenance and repair guide
- Clean your range top often
- A gas oven with a solid ventilation system is the most energy-efficient choice
- Self-cleaning ovens use a lot of energy but are better insulated than other models
- Follow few basic checks before you call your home warranty people for service
5. Clothes Dryer
- We have a tendency to overstuff a dryer with larger-than-recommended loads. Not all dryer tubs handle the same capacity of laundry. Check your manual if unsure how much you can dry in it. When a dryer is overloaded, it puts a strain on the belt that turns the drum and that can lead to repair
- Restricted air flow can tax the motor, but keeping the lint filter and the area below it clean, keeps the dryer operating more efficiently
- Change filters after each load. Clean out the lint filter before every load
- Every three months, use detergent to remove the chemical residues that can cling to the lint filter and restrict airflow
- Once a month, look at the dryer exhaust duct for crimps and obstructions
- Every year, remove and clean out the entire exhaust duct line from the dryer to the outside
- Reduce fire hazards by replacing vinyl
1. Washing machine: Washer Mold, Washer Vibration and Bubbles in Washing machine
WASHER MOLD- Any washer can develop mold if the lid is kept closed, trapping moisture within. But more serious issues have been reported regarding mold in frontload washers, especially high efficiency (HE) washers. There are ways to reduce the risk of washer mold, but even with the best of care, some frontload washers tend to have mold issues. This can become a very serious health issue that requires constant attention to minimize the effects on the family. The mold is usually black – the worst kind and sadly it is usually a recurring problem that requires proactive care. Find some companies that do appliance repair near me to take care of your washing machine mold.
WASHER VIBRATION- When a washer vibrates and starts gyrating out of place, there’s an imbalance problem which could be due to the wash load, but it could also signal a problem with the laundry room floor. An imbalanced wash load is easy to fix, just cancel or pause the cycle and redistribute the load. At the most, you may have to add a large towel or two to help balance the wash and resume the wash cycle. This is why its important to do washing dryer repair as soon as possible.
BUBBLES IN AN HE WASHER- If you’re using an HE washer, but inadvertently used the wrong detergent (regular), you may have soap bubbles that are trying to escape from the washer. Turn off the washer and proceed to a rinse and spin, which may need to be repeated to clear out the high volume of suds. HE detergent is a low siding formula which is recommended for high efficiency washers.
2. Humidifiers & Home Moisture: Water Droplets on Windows, Mold
WATER DROPLETS- Water droplets or steamy interior windows are usually an indication of excessive moisture. This could simply be caused by a large pot boiling on the stove, but it could signal another problem. It can be caused by a humidifier which is over humidifying the room – not being properly sized for that area or is running on High, where Low would be sufficient. Either way, it’s giving off way too much moisture. You can easily correct that by turning it down or moving the humidifier to a larger area of the house.
MOLD- Mold in the high corners of a bathroom usually signals that you need a fan in that areas which exhaust the bath/shower steam to the exterior of the home. Mold can be difficult to remove and will often recur prompting another home repair.
NOTE: The above troubleshooting tips are advice only. If your appliance isn’t working properly and you are not comfortable attempting any of the following, you may contact your local home warranty company and they can surely refer you to a qualified service contractor. This best part is with a home warranty you can get cheap appliance repair by just paying for the service call fee.
Working these small tasks into your regular cleaning and maintenance routine will reduce operation costs and may even eliminate the need for professional repairs. When you take great care of your appliances and further safeguard them with a home appliance warranty, you’ll be able to extend the life of your home appliances and count on them to last for many years to come.
Did you find this article helpful? YES | NO
Thank you for your feedback!