HVAC Maintenance Checklist [Infographics]
By Victoria Baeker
Updated: March 12th, 2019
In this infographic, you will learn about the HVAC Maintenance Checklist that you should follow in order to ensure that you do not have an expensive repair or replacement. Also, you should know that the infographic covers the average life span and repair costs of important appliances and systems in and around your home.
Found this useful? Share this with your friends and family, hit the share button and help someone out. Cheers!
Share this Image On Your Site
HVAC appliances are one of the most vital components in a home. Naturally, unexpected crashes and breakdowns of HVAC units disrupt a peaceful living. And once they crash, boy! They are really expensive to repair (or replace).
Any homeowner, in his right sense would therefore make sure that the heating, cooling and ventilation units are well taken care of and maintained. For all of you who are wondering how to extend the life of your HVAC appliances, this checklist is just the right thing for you!
Monthly maintenance routine
Yes, all HVAC appliances will do well if you give them some basic cleaning every month. Ensure that you do the following two steps at least once a month.
- Check thermostat settings
- Clean out the vents, replace filters, and keep it dust free as much as possible
Annual maintenance routine
The U.S. Dept. of energy advises homeowners to carry out a maintenance routine at least twice a year. This ensures that the power consumption is optimized and hazards are avoided. Here are the steps that you should carry out yearly to ensure healthy running of your HVAC appliances/ systems.
- Hire a professional inspector to perform checks on your HVAC units
- Hire a professional to clear the air ducts
- Re check and tighten all electrical connections
- Check refrigerant levels
- Use suitable lubricants to lubricate moving parts
- Clean the area around HVAC units and ensure that it always remains dry
If you think that these tasks are difficult and that your warranty plan will save you, here’s some incentive for you to get going in the right direction.
Home Warranty Companies usually DO NOT cover damages caused due to lack of maintenance. Which means that if your system stops working and the technician diagnosis says that the damage was caused due to lack of maintenance, your claim may be denied.
If that is not compelling enough, here are some more things that will happen if you are careless about HVAC maintenance
- Excess power consumption. Man! those electric bills are going to shock you (literally)
- Unclean machinery heats up abnormally, this leads to fire hazards.
- If vents are clogged with debris or other particulate matter, efficiency of the system drops
- If you don’t monitor your gas/ fuel connections, health issues and fire hazards may happen
Appliances and systems in our home and around us help us lead a happy and easy life. So it is only fair that we do for them at least a fraction of what they do for us. Take good care of your appliances, don’t use them roughly and above all, purchase a home warranty plan to protect your budget against unexpected appliance crashes.
Found this useful? Share this with your friends and help them too!!
Did you find this article helpful? YES | NO
Thank you for your feedback!