5 Tried And Tested Microwave Cleaning Hacks
A microwave is one of the most transformative kitchen appliances, having reduced our cooking time from hours and minutes to seconds. People deliberate a lot when choosing the right microwave model to purchase but forget the maintenance thereafter. All it takes to clean a microwave is a bit of time and caution. Cleaning and maintaining your microwave will keep your appliance in good condition for a long time to come. You can use the following microwave cleaning hacks to keep it sparkling.
Microwave Cleaning Hacks:
You may use any of the following methods subject to the availability of the material at your home. Once you are done reading this article, you will know how to easily clean a microwave with chemical-free and eco-friendly materials like lemon, vinegar, baking soda, etc.
Hack 1: Spoonful of Vinegar
For this cleaning microwave hack, you will need:
- Microwave safe bowl
- Add a tablespoonful of vinegar and a cup of water to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave for five minutes on high power.
- Let the door remain closed for the next fifteen minutes for the steam to be spread well.
- This is one of the best ways to clean a microwave because the steam softens the grime and brown stains inside. They can then be wiped clean.
- Wear a microwave-safe glove and remove the bowl.
- Remove the turntable carefully, wipe it clean with a damp, soft cloth or a microfiber.
- Wipe all of the stains in the microwave along with its deck portion using another cloth.
Hack 2: Lemon, Vinegar, and Water
For this aromatic microwave cleaning trick, you will need:
- 1 big, tart lemon
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- Microwave safe bowl
- Dry cloth
- Pour the water and vinegar into the microwave-safe bowl. Squeeze lemon juice into the mix.
- Place the bowl inside the microwave and close the door shut. Put the microwave on high power for 3 minutes as the liquid boils.
- Clean the insides of the microwave with a soft cloth. Be careful not to burn yourself.
For stubborn and hard-to-remove stains, and in some cases, mold, use this easy microwave cleaning hack –
- Let the door remain shut for 5 minutes after the timer goes off. The steam will help clean the inside of the microwave by loosening food particles, and the vinegar will eliminate any foul odors.
- Remember to handle the microwave-safe bowl and the turntable tray with gloves so as to not get burnt. Wash the tray in the sink.
- Start cleaning the ceiling, sides, and door of the microwave and wipe stains with a dry cloth or a sponge wipe.
- For stubborn stains, dip a towel into the lemon-water and scrub until the stain comes off.
In most cases, mold can easily be removed by cleaning the inside of the microwave with some water and liquid detergent, but you can follow up with lemon and vinegar for their strong cleansing properties. The lemon will also give a nice odor.
Hack 3: Baking Soda and Vinegar
This super-accessible hack will need:
- 4 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 4 tablespoons of vinegar
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Add baking soda to some warm water. Mash and stir to get a fine paste.
- Dip the cloth into the baking soda paste and wipe the inside of the microwave.
- Next, add equal parts of vinegar and water in the microwave-safe bowl.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and run it on high power for 3 minutes till the water boils.
- Keep the microwave door shut for 10 more minutes. The steam will take effect on the stubborn brown stains inside.
- Open the microwave and take out the bowl, carousel, and turntable. Soak and wash these in hot water and soap. Exercise caution as they may be hot.
- Wipe the inside of the microwave with the water and vinegar mixture until the baking soda residue is gone.
Hack 4: Dishwashing Liquid/ Soap
This method needs no fancy cleaners! You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of dishwashing Liquid
- A cup of warm water
- A sponge
- Clean rag or paper towel
- A Bowl
- Mix the dishwashing liquid and some warm water in a bowl.
- Soak and squeeze the sponge in the mixture to get suds.
- Remove the turntable inside the microwave. Wash and scrub it in the sink.
- Clean the crumbs and stains inside the microwave with a moist paper towel or cloth.
- Now use the sponge soaked in the mixture to scrub the interior. Be careful not to get the suds into the vents. Repeat the process until all the grease and grime vanish.
- Clean the suds with a damp rag.
- To avoid streaks, wipe the interior with a damp cloth and then with a dry rag.
Hack 5: Microwave Window Cleaner Solution
Occasionally your microwave’s window can get blurry. This method will get clear as day! You will need:
- Natural Window Cleaner
- 1 Cup Of Water
- Microwave-safe Bowl
- Paper Towel
- Spray around 10 pumps of window cleaner and pour a cup of water in the microwave-safe bowl.
- Directly spray the window cleaner on the stains inside the microwave.
- Put the bowl with the mixture inside the microwave and run it on high power for 5 minutes. Wait for another 5 minutes before taking it out.
- Remove the turntable and clean it with a damp paper towel first, and then with a dry one.
- Repeat the same with the inside of the microwave. Start from the top and work your way to the bottom. Make sure to wipe it dry.
The best way to avoid unnecessary repairs is to clean your microwave every 2 weeks using any of the hacks above. However, despite our best efforts, appliances tend to break down due to normal wear and tear. An easy solution to this is to opt for a home warranty policy that can act as an extra layer of protection to your microwave. Home warranties provide coverage to the major appliances and systems in your household. To know more, visit homewarrantyreviews.com.