Garbage Disposal Not Working? Here’s How You Can Get it Fixed
Your garbage disposal unit is a critical system of your home. Installed below the kitchen sink and between the trap and sink drainage, it chips wasted food particles into smaller portions so that the rubbish can pass through smoothly. But what happens if your garbage disposal is not working?
The problems and difficulties you face if the device stops working can be quite dreadful. One of the main issues you will experience is garbage starts accumulating, causing a foul odor throughout the kitchen.This article will brief you about the reasons behind garbage disposal not working, tips to fix them, and more!
Why Do Garbage Disposals Systems Start Malfunctioning?
Like any system or appliance, your garbage disposal needs to be treated with care to function smoothly. But at times, even if you are cautious with the devices, it can start malfunctioning due to normal wear and tear or excessive usage. The below-mentioned pointers will help you understand why your system starts giving trouble.
1. Garbage Disposal Is Humming
If your device hums, it indicates that the garbage disposal is clogged or jammed. The clog may be caused by a fruit pit, a piece of bone, or something similar stuck between the drain hole and an impeller blade.
2. Garbage Disposal Won’t Drain
If the water stands in the sink, it means there is a clog either in the disposal or down the drain line.
3. Slow Draining
If the blades are dull or there is a clog down the pipe, the garbage disposal would take a while to break down the food.
4. Garbage Disposal Won’t Turn On
If you switch on the system and the device does not work, it is due to the system getting overheated.
5. Garbage Disposal Is Leaking
If your garbage disposal is leaking from the bottom, it could be due to the busted seal present inside the system.
Now that you know why these devices start giving trouble, you should also know how to get them fixed efficiently. The next section will help you understand how to fix these systems efficiently.
How To Fix Your Garbage Disposal?
Fixing your garbage can be quite a long and tedious process that requires effort. It usually should be done only by a trained professional. The pointers mentioned below will help you understand how to fix your device.
- Get all the right tools and equipment needed
- Check the wiring and electricals
- Pivot the blades of the device
- Check for any issues in the impeller
- Make sure nothing is blocking the disposal bag
You must understand that repairing the device is not as easy as it may seem. The entire process is complicated and costs you a lot, and must be done only by a trained professional.
Why DIY Can Be an Expensive Prospect to Fix Your Device
DIY garbage disposal repairs are only worth it if you have a lot of time on your hand, and you are well trained in repairing devices. At times you may even injure yourself if you are not using the proper equipment. Some of the disadvantages of DIY are:
- DIY repairs need to be done with the proper set of tools and equipment. Most of these devices are quite expensive and can burn a deep hole in your pocket.
- You may damage other elements of your systems and appliances while fixing your garbage disposal.
- DIY repairs may not be long-lasting, and you may need to repair your garbage disposal time and again.
The cons of DIY are not limited to the listed. Therefore, it is wiser to opt for services from professionals. Local technicians can help you fix your device but they can be very expensive. That is when home warranties come into the picture. Home warranty plans help you fix your system in a timely and affordable manner.
Home Warranty Coverage for Garbage Disposals
Home warranty coverage for your garbage disposal is worth it. Not only are they extremely affordable, but they come with the best in class service. Here are a few advantages you will receive if you opt for a home warranty plan to protect your garbage disposal.
- If you have a home warranty plan in place and your garbage disposal starts malfunctioning, all you need to do is file a home warranty claim to repair or replace your device. The deductible or service call fee amount usually ranges from $50-$125 depending on the company you pick.
- With your policy activated, you can reach out to a company’s customer care team for garbage disposal system issues.
- Top class technicians who are well experienced in repairing your garbage disposal are assigned by home warranty companies to fix the malfunctioning device.
- If your garbage disposal unit cannot get fixed, the home warranty company will replace the device. However, this option depends on the unit’s condition and the terms and conditions of your policy.
- If you notice your device giving trouble, you can easily file a claim online or through the phone. The company then initiates your request and dispatches a technician ASAP.
- Repairing your garbage disposal system is an expensive prospect. But if you have a home warranty, your expenses are reduced significantly.
- The peace of mind knowing that your device is protected for one year, and the possibility of a straightforward extension if you are happy with the company’s services.
What you Should Know about Home Warranty Policies
Home warranties have several advantages. However, you must understand an essential aspect of your policy to get the most out of your plan. For instance, you must check whether pre-existing conditions get covered under your policy. Checking for pre-existing conditions will help you know if you can purchase a warranty when you notice garbage disposal issues.
Some warranty companies do cover these conditions, and some don’t. Make sure to read your contract before signing up. Once you are all clear, you can read reviews and choose the company of your choice.
How Reviews Help you Choose The Best Company
Reading reviews helps you understand companies’ services better so that you make the right choice. Several existing homeowners have written reviews of their experiences with home warranty companies. Some of these reviews are positive and some negative.
It is up to you to choose which company you want so that your valuable devices are protected. Some of the top companies that keep receiving positive reviews are mentioned below.
Buying a home warranty plan is an effective way to protect your device and other vital systems. But make sure to go through all the intricate details in your policy before signing up. Once your all-clear, go ahead and get your free home warranty quote from the company of your choice.